December 17, 2007

iPod touch jailbreaking

I had recently gotten an iPod touch. I did not need the phone so it was the best choice for me, especially with the sdk coming out in February. So after having much fun playing with the basic thing that come on it, I quickly decided to jailbreak it. My iPod touch had the 1.1.2 firmware, so I had to go through some hoops to get it to work, if you still have the 1.1.1 it is a lot simpler.

First I had to go to Here to get the 1.1.1 revert firmware. Then in iTunes you option click restore and it lets you select the file. This took forever because the download was ~150mb. Then the restore took a while as well.

After it was all set and working with the 1.1.1 firmware, it was time to jailbreak. Go to jailbreakme.com on your touch(1.1.1 only) or Manual Install from conceitedsoftware.com and follow the instructions. After the touch is jail-broken you need to launch the installer.app and scroll down to tweaks 1.1.1. Install the OKtoPrep file. This will ready your touch for the 1.1.2 jailbreak.

Now in iTunes click update and let it update your touch to 1.1.2. After that is finished you must jailbreak your touch again. This is done by downloading the latest jailbreak from conceitedsoftware.com. It will jailbreak the touch that is updated to 1.1.2.

There you go you now have the latest firmware and once again can install apps.

No comments: